Monday, June 17, 2013

June 17, 2013

Good morning,
Let's see... Been a boring week. Especially when it's put up against everything that seems to be going on at home. Traveling the world, family reunions, etc.. I did manage to go into Hamilton for a district meeting, so that was a great experience. I also got the package that Betsy sent! Pretty awesome. It's so much fun  something from home. I think maybe with emails it doesn't really seem as real? But when a fat package shows up, it's like yeah, my family loves me. :)

One of the interesting things that did happen was with the new Elder in Te Awamutu. We have trade offs every Wednesday so that my companion can go teach the Samoans in one of their areas, so I spent the day with Elder Hester. He's from Auckland, North Shore. At first I was kind of curious as to why he was sent on a mission so close to home, and then I remembered Wes. So I asked him if he was serving in this mission because of medical reasons, and he said yep, he had digestive issues, aka, Crohn's. We talked about that whole deal for a little while and he was pretty surprised that I knew what was going on. Turns out he had to have a large chunk of his intestines removed about a year ago, and had to spend a couple of months in the hospital. He's the same size as me, and apparently he only weighed about 90 lbs. Ouch. Good missionary though. It was really weird to think about how he was brand new, and it wasn't me anymore. It was a "no way have I really been out for three months" moment.


The past few weeks have been really hard. It seemed like it was going so well, then one day it all just decided to cool off big time. We've knocked on so many doors and talked to so many people, all to seemingly no avail. Obviously, all there is to do is to knock on a few more and continue to talk with everyone, but it is quite exhausting. The one shining light is Owen. Granted, he's not an investigator, but he's the man. We've been working with him pretty much since the beginning. He's been coming to church every Sunday, reading the scriptures, praying. It's awesome! It'd be nice to find some new people to teach, and bring to baptism, but it is amazing being able to see a Less Active member get totally on fire like this. He's one of the ones that I'll miss for sure. Especially since he's one of the few worldwide that doesn't have a Facebook. Come on man.


Well, that'll about do it,

And in case I don't see ya, good afternoon, good evening, and goodnight.
   E. O'Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment