Monday, July 28, 2014

July 28, 2014

What a good week we had! Last Sunday, a nonmember family walked into the chapel. We were able to get their details and started going around to teach them. We saw them a few times this past week and they're awesome. The oldest boy, who's twelve years old, was able to attend youth night and he loved it! So he'll be going again this week. From what I hear the fellowship that night was really good, and hopefully he walked out with a couple more friends. We were able to go around and see them on Friday. We weren't sure if we were going to be able to have a lesson or not with them, but it ended up working out really well. We taught them about the Plan of Salvation, and at the end were able to set them for baptism! So cool! It feels good to have a family that wants to hear the gospel and change their lives. It seems like so much of the time we're trying to inspire the desire, but this time around, the desire was already there, and we're just being the guides to a better life. I wish it happened like this all the time. They made it to church again yesterday, and they said they enjoyed it; which I was nervous about, since they had to leave after sacrament, and the best part of church for kids is the classes. At least, I remember how boring sacrament was to me growing up, but these kids liked it. They even like singing hymns. What's that all about? I reckon it's pretty awesome.

We've been enjoying good weather as well. For pretty much the entire last week it was sunny and clear every single day. It's usually about 15 degrees C. (or about 60 degrees F.), and as long as the wind isn't blowing it's perfect for walking around in. Only problem is at night when we're walking around, it's ends up way too cold. Makes me nervous too think about how I'm probably a huge wimp now with weather, since it's usually pretty awesome here so long as it's not raining. Then when it's time to go home next year it'll be mid Feb. None too excited about that.

For the coming week there's a cool conference going on.. if you're Polynesian. Talk about a racist conference. haha. Heriwini Jones is doing a mission conference for all of the Islanders in the mission. So on Wednesday, my companion will leave with a few other missionaries from the zone for Hamilton. I'll stick around with some of the other Elders here in Rotorua until they get back in the late afternoon. The first conference kind of like this was a super secretive Sisters one a while back. Where's my pakeha (white boys) conference? Or an Elders conference? Won't happen eh, look at how picked on I am.. Nah. All good. I just thought it was funny. The first reaction from all of the pakeha missionaries in the zone was, "well that's racist." I'm mostly just sad because I love learning about the history of the islands. Especially as it pertains to New Zealand. Folks seem to really respect when you know about their whakapapa, and when you can speak te reo Maori. Which is why I've been working on learning both.

Well, that should just about do it for this week.
 Ka Kite Ano!
  Kaumatua O'Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment