Monday, October 13, 2014

October 13, 2014

We had transfers this past week, and my companion got moved to Papakura, South Auckland. My new companion is from Tonga! My first Tongan companion. His name is Elder Bourke, which is funny, since that's not Tongan at all. He's the man though. Really good guy, and heaps of fun to have around. I reckon this is the happiest that I've been on the mish, the second best time being when I was in Dinsdale with Elder Ilia about a year ago. Seems crazy to think that I've been out as long as I have. There were also a couple of more old Zone Leaders released at transfers, which shows a pattern that President has of putting his oldies out to pasture. Almost like a "you're about to die, so I'll let you do it quietly somewhere far away" type of thing (which I am totally alright with). I can think of no place I'd rather be than here in little ol Kawhia.

The weather had been getting progressively better, and along with it so have my spirits. The last few days were totally clear and beautiful. Right now is that time when the temps are right perfect, so I've been lapping it up as best I can. We ended up going out to a farm on Friday to put up a bit more fencing. Somehow putting in a few posts and trying to string up the wire ended up taking the entire afternoon, and I got totally fried. Apparently the sun is worse in NZ too, something about the ozone layer I think, so I'm pretty much doomed to either be a lobster for the next few months, or always dripping in sun screen. We'll see what happens. Last summer though was the same thing; my abnormally large forehead stood no chances. I reckon I might start a petition for us to be allowed to wear hats. Like from the super old pictures of missionaries here, when they had hats and fat beards. That'd be mean.

There's not a whole lot really going on, mostly the same old that's been happening for the last six weeks, but I am getting pretty excited for the 25th. We'll be putting down a massive Hangi for some event that the town is doing. Which hopefully means I'll be eating a lot of Hangi that day. Pray for me that it works out that way. That's one thing I want to learn how to do correctly; lay a good Hangi. It's kinda hard to explain, so you'll just have to look it up, but since it's cooked in the ground, it gets a really awesome flavour that I haven't tasted anywhere else. It all depends on if you do it right though. Some people do it in old fridges n stuff, and it doesn't turn out nearly the same. You gotta have the real thing.

Well, I'll see if I can get some pics of me and my new comp sent, but this chapel computer wants to move nothing faster than a snail's pace, so we'll see what happens.
 Arohanui

This is out by a little town called Taharoa that's within branch boundaries. We went out there once and the country is beautiful! Not to mention the beach out there too. Hopefully we'll go out again, but it might be a while, since it's over an hour away. 

This was after a round of basketball. My comp is on the left. The one on the right is a non member that comes and plays, and the other two are members from the branch. Not a bad little crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment