Monday, September 16, 2013

September 16, 2013

This may be another one of those letters where I have a hard time figuring out what to write about. So just be warned.

The week started off pretty awesome. We were able to go to the temple on Tuesday. The second of two yearly trips that the mission takes. The next one will be in April I think. That is unless President Rudd decides to change things around for this mission, though I doubt it. I love being able to go to the temple, though I don't particularly love having to go with the mission. It seems as though there just isn't enough time. Everyone is always rushed, and it serves to just stress me out, rather than allowing me to properly relax like I really want to. It made me think about the few weeks that I had before coming out. Being able to go anytime that I wanted to, and being able to go alone, having the time to ponder and relax, disconnect a little bit from everything outside. I can't wait until I can do that again. It made me think a bit about how awesome my parents have always been about going to the temple. What an awesome example for all of us.


After the trip, the week pretty much just went back to normal, but I've been able to feel a greater spiritual strength since.


We learned an interesting thing over the weekend. Apparently Elder Ilai and I are the only companionship that gets along out of our zone. We've been having companion exchanges every single week, either with the Zone Leaders, or the District Leader, or both, and we were really curious as to why. So when we went on exchanges with the Zone Leaders on Saturday, we asked, and they told us they've been having to do it so that the companionships don't start killing each other.


So, it got me thinking as to why, and I've come up with the conclusion that it's because of the mission attitude. In the Auckland mission professionalism was always really emphasized. So much to the point that it almost seemed taboo to laugh and have jokes. Everyone is so caught up with trying to be super serious missionaries, that nobody allows for fun. Its been driving me nuts. I've always been under the impression that this is a happy gospel, a fun gospel. So, my companion and I have taken it upon ourselves to help everyone loosen up a little, have some fun. I'll let you know what happens.


I think that ought to about do it.
  Love ya!
   Elder O'Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment