Monday, October 14, 2013

October 14, 2013

Had a good weekend, wasn't able to do a whole lot of work, but it was awesome being able to watch General Conference. I kept thinking about how it wasn't live like I'm used to, and how everyone back home had already seen it a week earlier. I kept being torn about whether I should bow my head for the prayers or not, considering that they were a week old. I ended up treating them like live prayers, but it still made me curious about what protocol would be for that. 

I think the theme for me from this past conference was service. It seemed that everything that was talked about ended up coming around to service. It's interesting to see how important service really is. It's always been one of those things that I never paid much attention to, but as I've studied I've realized that it's far more important than I ever figured. So I've decided that for the next while I'm really going to work on giving service; to those we teach, to the members, to my companion. Doesn't matter. We'll see what happens. 


We had a bit of a miracle over the weekend. As much as I hate using that term, it was a pretty cool turn of events. We've been having a real struggle recently with finding people to teach. As much as we work, the area doesn't seem to be as fruitful as it should be. I'm not looking for a million baptisms a week, but a few keen people would be sweet, and we haven't even really been able to find that. Friday night we were just getting ready to go sleep when we got a text from a random number that said "I need help." We were both a bit skeptical, so we called the number to see if it was somebody was messing with us or something. Turned out to be a guy that is actually looking for help. He quickly told us about how he's divorced and his kids don't want anything to do with him. My companion had been talking to him up to this point, so I hopped in at the end. As soon as I spoke he recognized my voice and asked if I was the guy in the USMC back home, as soon as he mentioned that I remembered him. I had spoken to him a few weeks ago on the street with my Zone Leader, and we had talked about the Marines a little since he used to be in the New Zealand Army. He thanked us a bunch of times for talking to him, and we're hoping for an appointment this week. I don't know how it'll all work out in the end, but he said he wanted to learn, he wants to find out how what we teach can bless his life. I'm hoping for the best.
That'll about do it for now.
  Love Ya!
   E. O'Neal

No comments:

Post a Comment