Monday, March 4, 2013

First letter! March 4, 2013


KiaOra,
I got here last Thursday at around 5 in the morning, and for that first day, we didn't do a whole lot. Mostly we just took care of stuff to get us all checked in to the system then sat around all day. I spent most of that day hanging out with Elder Walker, he's a British guy that'll be serving in Auckland with me. My companion, Elder Niania (on my left), is pretty cool. He was born in Hawaii and lived in Utah for most of his life, then moved to Sydney about five years ago. He understands how everything works back in the States, and has been nice to have around when we go eat stuff I've never seen before. 

I'm really excited to actually get out of the MTC next week and start some real missionary work. It's driving me nuts being cooped up in here. We just do classes all day long. It starts feeling like a really long road trip, except the view out of the window always stays the same, though to be fair it is a pretty cool view; no white! One of the guys in my "district" is a Tazy (Tazmanian) and rides dirt bikes, so he's really nice to have here as a release when all I can think about is riding, which seems to happen a lot. I try my hardest not to daydream, then next thing I know all I'm seeing is a set of handlebars and a front fender. At least it's better than if I was daydreaming about girls, eh? 

There's loads of Americans here, as well as Samoans, Tongans, Australians, Fijians, and Tahitians (forgive me if I spelled any of those incorrectly). One of my favorites is Elder Tiananga. He's the big guy on my right. He dropped out of high school when he was 16, I think, and started working in the mines. He's probably my favorite guy here, because he laughs at everything I say. Almost like having Phil Dunphy around (Claire's husband on Modern Family). I'll make sure to write again, but for now we're off to play some basketball, except I can't really because I keep cranking my ankle. Oh well. So until next time.   Love, Kurt

Elder Niania and Elder O'Neal


No comments:

Post a Comment